The first telephone service in the New Ulm area dates back to 1887, prior to the formation of New Ulm Rural Telephone Company, now known as New Ulm Telecom, Inc. By the early 1900′s, area residents were frustrated with the lack of progress in expanding telephone service in rural areas. That frustration led to the start-up of the company that’s thrived for over 100 years.
On March 15, 1905, New Ulm area farmers and businessmen met at the Opera House to discuss concerns about the existing telephone service. There was soon wide-spread agreement that a local company should be formed to better service the needs of the area.
A committee of 26 men, appointed to pursue discussion of a new company, met just three days later at Schell’s Hall in New Ulm. The vote was unanimous in favor of forming a single new telephone company for New Ulm and the surrounding areas and townships. They agreed that the new company would begin operating on May 1, 1905.